October 09, 2006

Thanksgiving



It's time to be thankful. Today I want to celebrate Smiley. I am thankful for this beautiful man's generosity of spirit. On Friday, in a moment of sheer absent-mindedness, I lost my purse (see the entry below). We didn't notice that I was sans purse until we got home. Smiley, being Smiley, told me to go inside, relax over a glass of wine and that he would drive back downtown to look around the area. I told him to just come inside and to consider that purse a token of generosity to a homeless person. But, he didn't want to leave a stone unturned. So, in rush-hour traffic, he drove an hour downtown, asked store clerks in the surrounds about my lost purse and drove back home. After working an eleven hour day, he didn't pull into the driveway until 9:00 p.m.

It's amazing gestures like these that make me look up to him (literally and figuratively). I am thankful that my best friend has such an abundance of character. When I grow up, I want to be just like him. He always says he's just doing what anyone else would do, but I know he's a standout in the crowd.

No comments: