October 24, 2006

Got the call

New Orleans, here i come! I got the phone call this morning from Habitat For Humanity that my application was accepted for the Louisiana Rebuild project. I couldn't be happier. I've always wanted to do more than simply cut a cheque for charity. I've always wanted to feel like I'm directly making a difference. We will be building a home in Thibodaux, Louisiana, less than an hour's drive from New Orleans in an area that lost 16,000 homes to Hurricane Katrina. I signed up for this project for three reasons: to help others, to see first-hand the devastation of America's costliest natural disaster and to travel to a place on my own where I don't know anyone. I can't wait to meet my fellow Canadians that make up my team and to photograph what I can only anticipate as being a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

No comments: