November 26, 2006

Book Recommendation

I just finished reading a novel that I highly recommend: The Memory Keeper's Daughter by first time novelist Kim Edwards. The story grabs hold of you from the beginning - when a doctor helps deliver his wife's twins - a son and a daughter- during a snowstorm. Upon realizing that their newborn daughter has Down's Syndrome, he insists the nurse take her away to an institution and tells his wife that their daughter died during childbirth. The story is so deeply moving, about a family torn apart by secrets and longing. It was the best page-turner I've read in years. The relationships among the characters were so beautiful in their complexity and so remarkably true to life. I hope the next book I read can captivate me from start to finish as this one did. I hope you enjoy it.

No comments: